“Dharmo Rakshathi Rakshitha”
Established in 1974 SDM Law college has set a bench mark for quality legal education in southern India. The objective of the institution focused on imparting legal education to all sects of the society. The institution was built on strong foundation and has maintained its reputation as a fine institution for legal education over a period of time.
Initially the college was affiliated to the University of Mysore and functioned under the leadership of a eminent lawyer Prof. N J Kadamba, with a passionate commitment to education. During his tenure, the intuition grew and this is revealed in its alumni. The alumni have done the nation proud with their erudition and services.
The college offered 3 year LL.B Programme in its inception. After shifting to Mangalore University the college was the first institution to start 5 Year LL.B Course in India. New Courses and other innovations san substantial growth in the progress of the college. This led to a series of far-reaching curricular changes including enrolment growth to the highest level. The LL.M programme was subsequently introduced in business and trade laws. A significant academic record was created and wherein the majority of ranks were bagged by our students.
The college is currently affiliated to Karnataka State Law University, Hubballi which streamlines legal Education in the State. Many elements of distinctive curricular programme also continue today. The traditional 2 semester academic year is in progress, giving ample scope for extracurricular activities and internship programmes.
The college has been accredited by NAAC with B++ grade(2007) and re accredited with A grade(2012). Many agencies who conduct survey of educational institutions have ranked us in prominent positions.
- Fourth Best Law School in Southern India and the Second Best School of Excellence in India in a survey conducted by GHRDC consecutively for three years. (2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Outlook has ranked us 19th in 2015, 20th in 2016 and 24th in 2017, throughout the country.
- Career 360 ranked our institution as one among top 20 institutions in India in 2017
- India Today a prominent Magazine in a survey conducted has placed the college in the 21st position of the Top 40 Best Law Colleges in India, in the June 4th, 2018 issue.
We offer the following courses:
- LL.M, (Corporate and Commercial Law)
- Ph.D (Doctoral Programme)
Over the year SDM Law College had continued to stress the values of individual concern and growth, reliance on the students desire to learn, flexibility in the process of learning and a rigorous academic programme to fulfill the trends in a global society